Brookfield Divorce Attorney
Dedicated to Providing Compassionate Legal Guidance
Family law matters are some of the most difficult legal issues most will ever face. Ending a marriage is a major, life-altering decision that can create a series of ripple effects that will not only impact the couple involved, but their children and extended family as well. At The Law Offices of Mark S. Knutson, S.C. our family law attorneys in Brookfield, WI, will guide you through your divorce case with the care and compassion you deserve.
Family Law Matters Our Team Represents
Family law encompasses a wide range of cases, from divorce and child custody to restraining orders, which our Brookfield family lawyers can assist you with. We understand the impact a divorce can have on a family, especially when young children are involved, which is why our family lawyers can help you settle your case outside of court through mediation or collaborative divorce. The processes often take less time, are more cost-effective, and result in more practical agreements than what can be achieved through litigation. That said, our Brookfield divorce attorneys are also prepared to take your divorce case to court if an amicable agreement is not possible.
Here are some other matters our legal team can help you navigate:
- Child custody and visitation
- Spousal support or alimony
- Child support
- Property division
- Post-judgment modification
- Legal separation
- Grandparents’ rights
- Marital property agreements
- Restraining orders
The outcome for any of these divorce cases can have a profound impact on everyone involved, which is why it is essential to hire skilled legal counsel to represent you. Our divorce lawyers will work tirelessly on your behalf to obtain the best outcome for your family law case.
Is Collaborative Divorce Right for Me?
Ending a marriage can be a very difficult and painful process. However, there are ways to make it a little easier and a little less contentious.
One option is a collaborative divorce. Collaborative divorce tackles the same issues as any other divorce, but it does so through a specific approach that can make the process more respectful, faster, and a little easier. Below are some tips to help you determine if a collaborative divorce could be a good fit for your situation.
Committing to the process
- Collaborative divorce requires parties to commit to the process. This doesn’t mean divorcing spouses informally agree to give it a try. It means that divorcing spouses — and their attorneys — agree in writing to resolve issues outside of court.
- This ensures everyone is committed to the process and focused on resolving issues outside of court.
Cooperation, not confrontation
- In a collaborative divorce, parties work together through cooperation and negotiation to reach settlements agreeable to both parties. This requires both people to be willing to compromise and make decisions together. As such, parties will have a better chance of succeeding if they are respectful, realistic, and amicable.
- If an issue arises that parties cannot resolve themselves, there are still options to help keep the process productive. For instance, you can bring in other professionals like a mediator or child psychologist to help solve problems.
- While the collaborative approach can ultimately result in a more peaceful and cost-effective divorce, it may not work for everyone.
- For instance, if there is a history of violence or abuse, collaboration may not be appropriate. If there are highly complex conditions, like a massive estate or complicated custody issues, litigation may be the best option. Further, if either you or your soon-to-be-ex is not willing to commit to the process, you must pursue other options.
Based on these factors, you might recognize that collaboration is either a good option or an unlikely one. In either case, you should know your rights and legal options in accordance with Wisconsin laws. Discussing your case with a Brookfield divorce attorney is typically a good place to start when you are assessing this difficult situation. Not all attorneys participate in this Collaborative Divorce process. We do.
Speak to One of Our Brookfield Family Law Attorneys to Get Started on Your Family Law Case!
If you are in the middle of a family law matter or filing for divorce, the Brookfield family law attorneys at The Law Offices of Mark S. Knutson, S.C. will fight for you. Backed by more than 50 years of family law experience and a history of successful results, you can feel confident that our legal team has what it takes to help you get through your case as smoothly as possible. Whether you have to go through the litigation process or choose to negotiate the terms of your settlement, our legal team can help you!
Reach out to our Brookfield family law firm today at (262) 205-0705 to schedule a consultation with one of our family lawyers to learn more about what we can do to help you.